Kaitlin Atkinson Family Resource Library
Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Printer Friendly Version
401 Smyth Rd., Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1
Follow us @CHEOfrl
Resource List on Parenting
Resource List on Parenting
Être parent, une affaire de coeur / Laporte, Danielle -- Montreal: Hopital Sainte-Justine, 1999.
Dans cette livre, l'auteur aborde avec simplicité des sujets difficiles (discipline, stress, maladie, conflits conjugaux, séparation, etc.), dresse une série de portraits saisissants (l'enfant timide, agressif, solitaire, fugueur, déprimé, etc.) et nous livre aussi des réflexions éclairantes et pleines de sensibilité, notamment sur la confiance en soi, l'ami imaginaire, l'intimité et la générosité.
FAM HQ 769 .L36
How to talk so kids listen and listen so kids will talk / Faber, Adele -- New York: HarperCollins, 1999.
This book details a program for improving communication between parents and children, providing sample dialogues and role-playing exercises.
FAM HQ 784 .Q4 F3 1999
The incredible years: a trouble-shooting guide for parents of children aged 2-8 years / Webster-Stratton, Carolyn -- Seattle, WA: The Incredible Years, 2005.
This book provides parents with guidelines not only to help prevent behavior problems from occurring but also with strategies to promote children’s social, emotional and academic competence.
FAM HQ 769 .W42 2005
The journey to parenthood: myths, reality and what really matters / Barnes, Diana Lynn -- Oxford, UK: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd, 2007.
This book is the antidote to this culture's insanity about preparing for parenthood. You will learn that there is no such thing as the 'perfect parent,' and that when parents follow their instincts, they are probably doing the best thing possible to be good parents, and to raise intelligent and happy babies.
FAM HQ 769 .B27 2007
The pampered child syndrome: how to recognize it, how to manage it, and how to avoid it: a guide for parents and professionals / Mamen, Maggie -- Carp, ON: Creative Bound, 2005.
This book provides insight and support for parents, teachers and other professionals who are trying to deal with these pampered children, and who can thus be constructive influences in promoting change by working together as a team. The goal is for parents to take back the power they have given away, and to be confident in raising resilient, empathetic, and mentally healthy children who are well-prepared for the world outside the family.
FAM HQ 773 .M24 2004
Parenting that works: building skills that last a lifetime / Christophersen, Edward R. -- Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2002.
In clearly written, easy-to-follow chapters, parents are shown how to model and reward positive behaviors and avoid the need for ineffective, punitive discipline. Two key areas are covered in the book: building one's own skills as a parent, and then building one's child's competencies. Scores of practical examples show parents how to teach their children what is important in life, how to communicate clearly, and how to effectively discipline their child.
FAM HQ 769 .C485 2002
Raising your spirited child: a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic / Kurcinka, Mary Sheedy. -- New York: HarperCollins, 2006.
Presents guidance and exercises for parents of "spirited" children on such topics as dealing with tantrums and power struggles, helping a child focus and adapt to change, and recognizing cues when trouble is brewing.
FAM HQ 769 .K87 2006
Screen-smart parenting: how to find balance and benefit in your child's use of social media, apps, and digital devices / Gold, Jodi. -- New York ; London: Guilford Press, 2015.
Even for today's most tech-savvy parents, managing kids' technology use is a huge challenge fraught with uncertainties. What kinds (and amounts) of screen time boost learning and development--and what kinds may be harmful? What is the right age for a game console or a smartphone? How can kids and teens be protected from cyberbullying and learn to be good digital citizens? What impact do parents' technology habits have? In a positive, accessible style, the author provides parents a wealth of practical strategies for navigating the digital frontier and creating realistic, doable rules and expectations for the whole family.
FAM HQ 784 .I58 G56 2015
Stop arguing with your kids: how to win the battle of wills by making your children feel heard / Nichols, Michael P. -- New York: The Guilford Press, 2004.
Presented is a simple, easy-to-follow, yet effective way to put an end to arguments by refusing to argue back. Instead, the techniques of responsive listening help parents open up better communication in the family; create an atmosphere of respect and cooperation; and take children's feelings into account-without giving in to their demands.
FAM HQ 769 .N52 2004
Unconditional parenting: moving from rewards and punishments to love and reason / Kohn, Alfie -- New York: Atria Books, 2005.
This book addresses the way parents think about, feel about, and act with their children. It invites them to question their most basic assumptions about raising kids while offering practical strategies for shifting from "doing to" to "working with" parenting--including how to replace praise with the unconditional support that children need to grow into healthy, caring, responsible people.
FAM HQ 769 .K63 2005
What every man should know about being a dad / Cohen, David. -- New York: Routledge, 2009.
This book provides a guide for men on how to be a good dad and supportive partner. Dealing directly with key issues and many stresses that fathers can face, it looks at the psychological research on child development, parenting and fathering in particular.
FAM HQ 756 .C622 2009
Back to top
Parent Resource Centre, Ottawa / Centre de ressources pour parents
Caring for Kids – Canadian Paediatric Society / Soins de nos enfants – Société canadienne de pédiatrie
Parenting – Medline Plus from the US National Library of Medicine
Kids Health – for Parents, Teens and Kids from the Nemours Foundation
About Kids Health – from the Hospital for Sick Children (available in various languages)
Healthy Children – From the American Academy of Pediatrics
Making plans: A guide to parenting arrangements after separation or divorce
- Department of Justice, Government of Canada / Faire des plans - Guide sur les
arrangements parentaux après la séparation ou le divorce - Ministère de la
Justice, Gouvernement du Canada
Effective Parenting and Disciplining Children - Health Link BC
Back to top
● Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
● Free / gratuit
● Last updated May 2016 / Mise-à-jour 2016 mai● English, French / anglais, français
● From iTunes and Google Play: This app allows Canadians to keep track of their vaccinations and retrieve their records remotely, receive automatic reminders to schedule their routine vaccinations based on relevant provincial or territorial schedules, and provide access to timely and trusted information about recommended vaccinations for children, adults and travellers. / L'appli ImmunizeCanada (ImmunizeCA) offre aux Canadians la possibilité de gérer les dossiers de vaccination de leur famille sur un téléphone intelligent ou un appareil mobile. Plus précisément, l'appli permet aux Canadiens de suivre leurs vaccinations, de recevoir des rappels automatisés lorsqu'il est temps de prendre rendez-vous pour faire administrer les vaccins de routine d'après le schéma de vaccination de leurs province ou territoire, et d'avoir accès à des informations actuelles et fiables sur les vaccins recommandés pour les enfants, les adultes et les voyageurs.
● Available from / Disponible depuis Google Play & iTunes
● Free / gratuit
● Last updated May 2016 / Mise-à-jour 2016 mai
● English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish /anglais, français, allemand, portugais, espagnol
● My Pregnancy & Baby Today is the best resource for pregnant women. Expecting a baby? Get week-by- week pregnancy tips and trackers, with access to videos, tools, checklists, a thriving community of moms and parents to-be, baby essentials, product reviews, and thousands of BabyCenter articles. Plus, tools like the bumpie photo diary, a kick tracker, and more. Then, once you deliver, it switches to daily parenting guidance to support you through baby's first year and beyond. / Ma Grossesse Aujourd'hui est la source d'informations indispensable aux futures mamans. Vous attendez un bébé? Obtenez un suivi de grossesse semaines après semaines, des trucs et astuces, accédez à des vidéos, des outils pratiques, des check-lists. Serrez-vous les coudes sur la communauté des mamans et des futurs parents, découvrez ce dont votre bébé a besoin et lisez des centaines d'articles BabyCenter. Et aussi, des outils comme le Self'Bidou pour suivre l'évolution de votre ventre en images et beaucoup d'autres choses encore.
● Available from / disponible depuis Google Play & iTunes
Back to top
Be Sweet to Babies – CHEOvideos / Petite douceur pour bébés– CHEOvideos
Parent Resource Centre
300 Goulburn Private
Ottawa, ON K1N 1C9
This guide provides medical material for information purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your physician. The information may not always apply to your individual situation.
The guide represents material available in the Family Resource Library collection at CHEO. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Your local public library may also be able to provide valuable information.
If you require materials in alternative formats, please contact the library at 613-737-7600 ext. 2157 or at email@example.com.
Last Updated : May 2016
Links Tested : May 2016