Expert Care and Research for Healthy Young Minds
Strategic Plan for 2015-2020
The Young Minds Partnership:
CHEO and The Royal together provide specialized psychiatric and mental
health services for thousands of children and youth in Eastern Ontario,
Nunavut and Western Québec.
The demand for mental health treatment
has dramatically grown in recent years and has stretched our mental
health system to the limit. So we needed a plan to help us adapt to the
changed environment of child and youth mental health and guide our
services into the future.
The Strategic Plan for CHEO and The
Royal’s shared services was developed by surveying 800 staff,
physicians, community groups, children, youth and families. Their input
helped us design a plan that will improve our services by:
- Helping more children and youth, and reducing wait times
- Providing the best treatment – at the right time
- Doing more for children under age 12
- Working closely with community partners
- Creating a strong system of mental health services for children, youth and families
- Striking a better balance between assessing problems and treating them.
- Offering more help to kids and youth while they wait for treatment.
- Improving transitions of older youth with severe psychiatric illness to adult services.
plan is designed to meet the needs of the community while striving to
do better with each step forward, keeping patients and family at the
centre of all we do.
In 2015/16, CHEO and The Royal will launch the first new projects from the strategic plan. For example, we will:
the Choice and Partnership Approach (CAPA) in the CHEO and The Royal
Outpatient Services. CAPA is a service model that puts clients at the
- Use telemedicine to conduct real time emergency mental health assessments in community hospital emergency departments.
- Re-establish dedicated children’s mental health beds at CHEO.
- Develop new approaches to identifying and treating youth with substance use disorders and mental health problems.
the next five years, we will be monitoring and measuring the impact of
the changes we make, as well as sharing an annual report card with
children, youth, families and the community.
Read the full text of the Young Minds Partnership Strategic Plan (2015 – 2020).